Graves Light was declared surplus property by the U.S. Coast Guard and auctioned to the public by the federal General Services Administration. A Boston-area family bought Graves Light in the late summer of 2013.
For our own updates of Graves Light’s progress, see The Keeper’s Blog. For the wicked big news, see this page below.
The Globe comes back to measure our progress, one year later (September 16, 2014):
Joseph P. Kahn, “Renovation of Graves Island lighthouse inches forward: A long to-do list for feeling at home on island,” Boston Globe, September 16, 2014.
Here’s some more news coverage:
- Boston Globe, “You spent $1m on a lighthouse. Now what?” Otherwise titled “Light Housekeeping,” December 29, 2016 (by Emily Sweeney).
- BostonCurbed.com, “Coolest man in greater Boston builds out his lighthouse,” September 16, 2014 (by Tom Acitelli).
- Associated Press/Boston Globe, “Plenty of light! Feds are selling off lighthouses,” September 4, 2014.
- “Chronicle, WCVB Channel 5, “He bought a lighthouse. What for?” October 21, 2013
- Boston Business Journal, “Scituate, Cohasset get first refusal before next Mass. lighthouse hits the block,” October 2, 2013 (by Galen Moore)
- Boston Globe, editorial, “Lighthouse auction: Still a beacon on Graves Island,” September 16, 2013.
- BostonCurbed.com, “Meet the coolest man in greater Boston right now,” September 6, 2013 (by Tom Acitelli)
- Boston Business Journal: “Meet the buyers of Graves Island Light (and hear how they mortgaged their house to do it),” September 6, 2013 (by Galen Moore)
- Reuters: “Boston Harbor’s historic lighthouse sells for more than $900,000,” September 6, 2013 (by Daniel Lovering)
- Boston Globe: “Businessman bullish about Grave Light’s potential,” September 5, 2013 (by Joseph P. Kahn)
- Boston.com: “Sold, To Boston businessman Dave Waller: The Graves Island Light Station, a unique fixer-upper,” September 5, 2013 (by Joseph P. Kahn)
- WBZ Radio: “Digital production owner pays record price for Boston lighthouse,” September 5, 2013 (by Anthony Silva)
- Boston Business Journal: “Graves Island lighthouse: Look what someone bought for nearly $1M,” September 4, 2013 (by Thomas Grillo)
- Washington Post: “Waterfront 2 BRs, 0 baths, 1 big light: Boston Harbor lighthouse sells for $934K, a record,” September 4, 2013 (by the Associated Press)
- Boston Globe: “Sold! Graves Island lighthouse breaks record,” September 4, 2013 (by Mark Shanahan and Meredith Goldstein)
- Wall Street Journal, “The lure of the lighthouse,” August 15, 2013 (by Amy Gamerman)
- ABC News: “Historic lighthouse for sale!” July 31, 2013 (by Priyanka Tilve)
- BostInno: “Real Estate Porn: A Boston lighthouse is for sale,” July 31, 2013 (by Alex E. Weaver)
- Boston Globe: “Graves Island lighthouse not your average fixer-upper,” July 31, 2013 (by Joseph P. Kahn)
- Daily Mail (London): “Government selling off spectacular lighthouses for as little as $1 . . .,” June 9, 2013 (by Helen Pow)
For older articles about Graves Light, see Jeremy D’Entremont’s wonderful website, NewEnglandLighthouses.net. The Graves Light bibliography page contains listings of articles going back to 1904.
congrats to this wonder of a purchase. I have but a small question…..who was he guy who bid $933.887 and then quit…what if he went, 933.889….what was the tipping dollar…..imagine losing out on such an amazing purchase for a buck.
All the best.