The granite for Graves Light came from the same Rockport, Massachusetts, quarry that provided the stone for the Bunker Hill Monument.
Master stoneworkers cut an ingenious puzzle of 776 curved, interlocking, granite stones to create the Graves Light walls. The walls are 7 feet thick at the base, with the interior of each room 13 feet in diameter. (Some sources say 882 stones.)
The Rockport stoneworkers pieced together each level of the lighthouse while still at the quarry, to ensure that everything was perfect. Then the pieces were loaded aboard cargo vessels to Boston Harbor, for assembly at The Graves.
Below is an image of the assembly of the entrance level to the lighthouse, which would be installed 40 feet above the sea. The date “A.D. 1903” is carved above the door. This image and others are courtesy of the Massachusetts Historical Society.