Pages of public comments in the Boston Globe show zero support for the Town of Hull’s land grab against Graves Light.
Overwhelming support emerged for the Wallers and the lighthouse, which sits on the unincorporated territory of Graves Ledge, which the Town of Hull is trying to annex.
Many people supported us on Facebook.
Here are some of our favorite comments on the November 18 Globe article about the land grab.
They’re purely the opinions of the people whose usernames are in parentheses, but they show the general flavor of public sentiment:
- “Once again my hometown has done an excellent job of shooting itself in the foot. When will the town ever learn?…” (Hull67)
- “As a proud resident of Hull, I suggest the town focus limited town recourses on many of our more pressing needs. The MBTA is threatening to cut the ferry service. The tower at Fort Revere is crumbling. Numerous seawalls are in a state of disrepair…. The electricity goes out with startling frequency…. to the average citizen the attempt to claim Graves appears to be frivolous.” (William fly)
- “Seems like a pretty blatant cash grab by the town of Hull.” (McCloskey)
- “All it takes is one look at the map to know this is nonsense. Shame on Hull, especially going after someone who is helping preserve a piece of the nautical history of our area.” (BostonYurMyHome)
- “This is why tax collectors in the days of old would sometimes be tarred and feathered.” (Berkshire Man)
- “… if this island is in Hull why isn’t it included in any of the town’s zoning plans, town’s voting districts, or town’s fire or police plans?” (user_1126029)
- “Hull doesn’t do most of that [provide public services] with the onshore residents. He is not part of Hull, but if he were he won’t be treated any worse than all the other people of Hull.” (bakeraintgr8…)
- “Statehood for Graves Light, it’s only a smidgen smaller than Li’l Rhody.” (Opportunity)
- “Next time you’re wondering why some people grow to resent government…” (krstn)
- “Huge overreach by Hull. Waller put his time and money into making this something unique, AND he isn’t using any town services.” (Bakes33)
- “Sounds like taxation without representation.” (EastCoastLA)
- “… Mr. Waller took Graves Light when the U.S. Government didn’t want it any more, renovated it, and assured it will always be a Boston-area landmark. . . . Just plain gross behavior by the Town of Hull, but hardly unexpected.” (user_3961644)
- “If Howie Winter had tried this extortion, he would have died behind bars.” (sailrfl)
- “My guess is that it’s not the money Hull wants, they’re just mad they don’t have the power to stop the work. Not so much a money grab as a power grab. For little people, the power to say no is very important.” (NCARalph)
- “No; it’s the money… It’s Lampke personally that’s on the power trip…” (BalancedChat)
- “Foolishness! This man saved a landmark that no one wanted to deal with and now is being punished.” (user_2041298)
- “No good deed goes unpunished, especially by a government.” (Obftklkdvsm)
- “Waller is no anti-government guy. He did his due diligence prior to the sale and has accepted regulatory oversight throughout the renovation. A clear judgement is needed here, not compromise. Shameless money grab by Hull.” (theimr)
- “I live in Hull and this smells rotten! … Hull is attempting to strong arm this gentleman. Anyone agree with the town on this? I’ll wait.” (57anymore)
- “He should issue his own cryptocurrency and offer to pay a settlement in Gravescoin so the town would go away.” (aidandad)
- “There’s a crater on the moon that looks like it might belong to Hull too.” (user_4350232)
- “Why don’t they claim Greenland while they’re at it.” (adriannel)
- “The Town of Hull should be publicly shamed by the rest of the Commonwealth for its conduct in this matter.” (rpg-boston)
- “Probably the first time I can remember seeing three pages of BG comments in complete agreement. Kudos, Hull, everyone is against you!” (Padraig02169)
Pingback: Town of Hull to set 'date of taking' Graves Light in land grab - Graves Light Station