One hundred and fifteen years ago today, Colonel Stanton of the Army Corps of Engineers took advantage of calm seas to photograph The Graves, documenting work accomplished in the 1903 season.
Remarkably, in seven months, the workmen prepared the ledge, constructed temporary cofferdams and wharves, built a barracks and footbridge, and set half the tower’s stones into place.
The next year would see the rest of the tower, interior tiled walls and stairs completed.
Graves Light went operational in September, 1905.
Click here for more historic photos of Graves Light’s construction, along with copies of many of the original blueprints and diagrams.